Sharlotka is a traditional Russian apple cake that is typically made with wheat flour. However, you can easily adapt the recipe to be gluten-free by using almond flour as a substitute. Here's a basic recipe for making a gluten-free Sharlotka with almond flour:
- 4-5 medium-sized apples (preferably tart ones like Granny Smith)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (you can adjust the sweetness according to your preference)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a 9-inch round cake pan or springform pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into thin slices. You can also leave the skin on if you prefer.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until well combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring gently until you have a smooth batter.
- Add the sliced apples to the batter and mix until the apple slices are evenly coated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Optionally, dust the top with powdered sugar before serving.
Your gluten-free Sharlotka with almond flour is now ready to be enjoyed! The almond flour gives it a delicious nutty flavor and a moist texture, making it a delightful treat for those who are gluten-sensitive or looking for alternative flour options. Enjoy!