When it comes to finding the best frozen chicken pot pie, there are several options available in the market. These frozen pot pies typically consist of a filling made with chunks of chicken, vegetables like peas and carrots, and a creamy sauce, all enclosed in a flaky crust.
Different brands offer their own variations of frozen chicken pot pies, each with its own unique qualities. However, two popular contenders in the frozen food aisle are Marie Callender's and Banquet.
Marie Callender's frozen chicken pot pies are widely recognized for their quality. Their filling tends to be rich and flavorful, featuring large chunks of chicken and a well-balanced blend of vegetables. The crust is often praised for being flaky and buttery, adding to the overall taste and texture of the pie.
Banquet frozen chicken pot pies are known for their affordability and convenience. They are often available at a lower price point compared to other brands, making them an attractive option for budget-conscious consumers. While the quality might not be on par with higher-end brands, Banquet pot pies still offer a decent taste and satisfactory filling.
Ultimately, determining the "best" frozen chicken pot pie is subjective and depends on personal preferences. Some may prioritize taste and quality, while others may prioritize affordability and convenience. It's worth trying different brands to find the one that suits your taste preferences and budget.
What are the ingredients in a classic frozen chicken pot pie?
The ingredients in a classic frozen chicken pot pie can vary depending on the brand or recipe, but they generally include:
- Chicken: Cooked and diced or shredded chicken meat.
- Vegetables: Common vegetables used in a pot pie are carrots, peas, onions, celery, and potatoes. They are typically diced or chopped.
- Gravy/Sauce: A creamy or thick sauce made with chicken broth or stock, milk or cream, and flour or cornstarch to thicken. It may also include seasonings like salt, pepper, thyme, or parsley.
- Pastry: The crust can be made with puff pastry, pie dough, or biscuit dough.
- Seasonings: Additional seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, or herbs like thyme or rosemary may be added for flavor.
It is important to note that different brands or recipes may have variations in the ingredients or preparation methods for frozen chicken pot pies.
What is the recommended internal temperature for a cooked frozen chicken pot pie?
The recommended internal temperature for a cooked frozen chicken pot pie is 165°F (74°C).
How to make a frozen chicken pot pie extra creamy?
There are several ways to make a frozen chicken pot pie extra creamy. Here are a few suggestions:
- Add a cream-based sauce: Before baking the pot pie, mix in a creamy sauce such as a white sauce or a mix of heavy cream and chicken broth. This will give the filling a smoother and creamier texture.
- Use cream cheese: Incorporate cream cheese into the filling mixture. It will melt during baking and add richness and creaminess to the pot pie.
- Mix in sour cream: Add a dollop or two of sour cream into the filling mixture for an extra creamy and tangy flavor.
- Use a combination of heavy cream and milk: Instead of solely using milk or chicken broth in the filling, substitute part of it with heavy cream. This will enhance the creaminess of the pot pie.
- Add grated cheese: Sprinkle some grated cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella, on top of the filling before baking. As it melts, it will create a creamy layer.
It's important to note that these suggestions are intended for frozen pot pies that are already pre-made and simply need to be baked. If you are making the pot pie from scratch, there are additional steps you can take to make it even creamier, such as making a homemade creamy filling or adding additional cream-based ingredients.